Powerhouse | STEM Outreach Champion
2019-2020 Program Year
Team UP AmeriCorps Member Position Description:
STEM Outreach Champion
The Program: Team UP is a Collective Impact initiative serving Dolores and Montezuma Counties in southwest Colorado. Since 2015, Team UP has operated under its backbone organization, United Way of Southwest Colorado (UWSWC). Team UP’s mission is to provide a comprehensive system of support to every child in our counties, from cradle to career. Team UP collaborates across sectors and promotes clear communication towards common progress in order to make a big difference.
The Powerhouse (TPh) is an all-ages interactive Science Center and Maker Lab located in the rural Four Corners region of Southwest Colorado. TPh’s mission is to spark curiosity, ignite imagination and power exploration. TPh provides hands-on science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) exhibits and experiences for 20,000+ people each year. Visitors to the TPh experience innovative and sophisticated STEM concepts in a fun and welcoming environment.
AmeriCorps is part of the Corporation for National & Community Service, and has been called “the domestic Peace Corps.” AmeriCorps provides opportunities that engage thousands of Americans in intensive service to meet critical community needs.
Service Position Summary:
Under the general direction of the Education Director, the STEM Outreach Champion executes and facilitates education programs with a focus on outreach, develops and compiles curriculum, and contributes to program organization, implementation and evaluation. The STEM Outreach Champion also assists with programming and teaching in the Maker Lab utilizing 3D printers, laser cutter, metal shop, CNC router, and woodshop.
Essential Functions (Primary Responsibilities):
- With assistance from, and in collaboration with the Education Director, launch and manage the Outreach Program, including Geek Squad theatrical performances, in-class field trips, after-school programs, mobile maker labs, and other outreach opportunities. Teach Outreach Programs in the Four Corners Region.
- Reach out to schools, libraries, and community partners to make connections and inform them about educational opportunities.
- Design new in-classroom lessons, projects for the mobile maker lab, and performance demonstrations for outreach programs. Update old outreach curriculum to better fit new standards and objectives.
- Coordinate specific program logistics, organize correspondence with parents/teachers, plan curriculum, gather materials, collect statistics, operate within a limited budget and coordinate with the marketing director to effectively promote the program.
- Help expand the FIRST Lego League Robotics programs to all five SW Colorado counties by mentoring, recruiting, and possibly coaching.
- Collaborate with the Director of Education to develop and implement evaluation strategies to accurately track, document, and measure program effectiveness; recommend programmatic changes as needed.
- Communicate with the regional Team UP AmeriCorps team, and represent Team UP and Serve Colorado in the community and on social media;
- Attend trainings and participate in Days of Service
Marginal Functions (Secondary Responsibilities):
- Execute and assist with a variety of education programs in the Powerhouse and Maker Lab, including day and