Got a thirst for science and a desire to drink a few local brews? Powerhouse Science Center serves up Pub Science – our casual and creative series featuring local and national guest speakers showcasing the science of their craft.
Every first Friday of the month from 6:00 - 8:00 PM
Pub Science is an adult-only event for those 18 years and older who need a couple of well-earned hours of fun and don't mind occasional explosions or juicy conversation starters with their happy hour.
Recent Topics Have Included
- Navajo Skies: Connecting the stars to discover the link between Western and Indigenous sciences with Navajo scientists, Nancy Maryboy, Ph.D., and David Begay, Ph.D., of the Indigenous Education Institute, and Laura Peticolas, Ph.D., physicist at UC Berkeley's Space Science Laboratory.
- Food for Thought: The whats, whys, and hows of allergies and what scientific research is telling us about them with Marc Masor, Ph.D.
- Behind the Hangover: How does alcohol influence neurotransmission to cause cognitive impairment, addiction, and damage with Cate Fenster, BSN, Ph.D, and former neurobiologist.
- Know Nano: A closer look at nanotechnology, one of the fastest growing industries and science fields on the planet, with Donitza Ivanovich, Powerhouse educator, Fort Lewis College's Women in Technology Club, and NISEnetwork.
- Science of Snow: Learn just how unique those special snowflakes can be with molecular water science, innovations in winter gear technology, topography of local mountains, and more with Backcountry Experience, Kling Mountain Guides, Sim Tables, Colorado Avalanche Information Center, and the National Snow and Ice Data Center.
No ticket or RSVP required – Pub Science is a free event for curious minds, ages 18 and over. Please call our Public Programs coordinator at (970) 403-1864 for more information.